Man In Coma After E-Cigarette Explodes In His Face

His family wants people to understand the unknown dangers of these devices.

Florida Man Is In A Coma After E-Cig Explodes In His face.
Evan Spahlinger, 21, is in critical condition after being found covered in soot by family members.

An emergency crew transported Evan Spahlinger from Naples Community Hospital to the Burn Center at Kendall Regional Medical Center Monday. Spahlinger’s mother, Alissa Stefanacci, followed.

“I found my bother not breathing, with his whole face burned and his neck burned and trying to throw up a little or maybe he was gasping for air, so I called 911, she told

“They said he has internal and external burns and damage to his lungs for the explosion itself,” Richardson told “And possibly the mouth piece went, when the cigarette exploded, it went down his throat and exploded again.”

Spahlinger was taken to the Downtown Naples Hospital before being flown to a Miami hospital where doctors placed him in a coma to relieve his pain.

By the end of the day Tuesday, Alissa said Evan was still unable to breathe without a ventilator